In Real Time
This chapter looks at the role of synchronous (real-time) communication in supporting online learning communities. It relates real-time communication to the concept of social presence, encountered in earlier chapters of this book.
The chapter discusses different kinds of synchronous communication:
- real-time chat
- instant messaging
- audio- and videoconferencing
- virtual worlds.
It considers the benefits of these technologies, and the issues that need to be considered when using real-time communication for learning and teaching.
Chapter contents list:
- Synchronous Chat
- Instant Messaging
- Students’ Views on Instant Messaging
- Case Study – Real-Time Communication in a Mathematics Online Learning Community
- Audio- and Videoconferencing
- Case Study – Synchronous Conferencing for Language Learning
- Virtual Worlds
- Key Points for Practitioners
- Further Reading